Back in 2013, on an episode of Kim and Kourtney Take Miami, Kim Kardashian visited a spa with one of her friends to get a facial. Just another glamorous day in the life of a Kardashian! Except Kim K was getting a procedure that has since been famously dubbed the “vampire facial.”
Viewers watched, fascinated, as Kim’s blood was drawn and spun in a centrifuge to separate out the platelet-rich plasma. This platelet-rich plasma (PRP) was then applied to her skin after microneedling to help the healing process.
Rejuvenate Your Skin with Microneedling
As strange as this procedure may sound, it does wonders for your skin! Microneedling with PRP stimulates the body’s natural production of collagen and enhances a youthful glow. It is ideal for the treatment of acne and surgical scars, stretch marks, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and fine lines, lax skin, large pores, sun damage, and uneven skin texture. It is suitable for all skin types and colors, and can performed on the face or body.
The treatment involves two steps: the microneedling and the PRP application:
- For microneedling, a handheld, automatic device is passed over the skin, using microneedles to create tiny channels in the skin. This procedure is nearly painless, and was described by one patient as the sensation when a cat licks you. Your body responds to the microneedling by producing collagen and elastin to heal and rejuvenate the skin, a process which occurs over 4-8 weeks.
- In the second half of the treatment, your own platelet-rich plasma is applied to your face. PRP contains concentrated growth factors and cytokines, which promote the regeneration of soft tissues and stimulate natural healing and collagen production. After the procedure your face will appear pink, but this will subside in 24 to 72 hours.
After Your Procedure – Getting the Most Out of Your Treatment
After the procedure, your skin will be sensitive for the first 24 hours. We recommend treating your skin gently for three days after microneedling before returning to your normal skincare routine. Avoid direct sun or applying makeup, as well as anything that may stress the skin like swimming. Directly post-procedure, your skin will appear red and may feel tight, but this will subside within a few hours.
Aftercare 24-72 hours:
- Clean: use a gentle cleanser and tepid water. Avoid using a washcloth or anything abrasive on your face and avoid any exfoliating face wash.
- Heal: we recommend serum antioxidants post-treatment, as they contain properties ideal for soothing and lessening irritation. We carry TNS Essential Serum, Epionce Intense Defense Serum, and SkinCeuticals Vitamin C Serum. We recommend using the serum in the morning under your moisturizer.
- Hydrate: hydration is key to restore the skin and aid in healing. We carry a variety of moisturizers from lightweight lotions to creams. One of our personal favorites is the Renewal Facial Lotion by Epionce, which is light, absorbs easily, and is very gentle on the skin.
- Protect: Immediately after the procedure your skincare professional will apply a serum and a sunscreen-moisture combination to protect your sensitive skin. Sunscreens with active ingredients of zinc or titanium are essential in order to block damaging rays. While your skin is sensitive, avoid direct sunlight and be sure to apply sunscreen and moisturizer before you leave the house.
- Makeup: Ideally, you should let your face rest for 48 hours without any makeup, especially avoiding any makeup that needs to be applied with a brush that could harbor bacteria and irritate the skin. We recommend a tinted sunscreen like Revision Intellishade (Matte SPF 45), which provides protection and moderate coverage with glow (similar to a concealer with highlighter) without potential for irritation.
Before & After
Turn Back Time with Skin Smart Dermatology
If you want to restore the appearance of youthful, healthy skin, call us today at 215-348-7335. We offer a variety of cutting-edge treatments so that our clients can enjoy the benefits of medically proven results.